What do you eat?
Since I took the MRT test and completed the 6 phase LEAP diet last year, I have gotten this question on my socials the most! (If you don’t know what I went through last year, read this post on “How I Lost 30 Pounds” first.) I’m the first one to tell you, I’m not the best food planner. I did it when I had to for the year I weeded out my health issues with my nutritionist using MRT/LEAP, but now I don’t plan or cook as much as I had been. #guilty However, I will share with you the healthy things I enjoy when I am not downing McD’s fries and sweet tea. 🙂
Breakfast: If I don’t skip breakfast, since my lunch is at 10:30am during the work day, I usually go for a smoothie. My favorite is the Naked® strawberry+banana. I don’t
have time make the time to do these on my own, nor do I really want to…that’s not my jam. I find that this brand doesn’t have any extra ingredients and it tastes great! Now, if you are a calories person, it may turn you away…but you have to look at it as a whole meal! *Edit: I’ve recently read some controversial articles on this brand, but I also like Bolthouse Farms. There are also many other options!
Brunch: Only on Sundays. My family hardly ever misses a brunch at our favorite local restaurant after the early church service each Sunday. If you watch my Snapchat/IG Stories, then you know I’m a creature of habit. I go for the chicken and biscuits. I’m a sucker for the savory+sweet thing! It includes homemade biscuits and chicken tenders with pouched eggs on top. I ask for my gravy on the side and for a side of real maple syrup. *They are the only place in our small town that serves 100% maple syrup. This is huge for me, because if you read all about my MRT testing…corn was one of my highest reactive foods. All the other “maple syrup” that restaurants serve should really be called “Maple Flavored CORN Syrup”.
- At work my go-to is a rice cake with peanut butter. I like the Quaker® apple cinnamon flavor with Jiff® pb.
- I also like toasting a spelt based bread or Udis® wheat bread isn’t too bad. *I find my bread in the frozen section. I slap some ghee (clarified butter) on it and sprinkle it with some garlic salt. Then, I take some lunch meat and pasture raised cheese and toast it on the stove for a few seconds on each side. I eat that sandwich with a side of my favorite Boulder® sea salt potato chips. I used to have to shop at Whole Foods, but I’ve found that these items have very little extra ingredients and work for my needs now. Which is great, because the closest Whole Foods to me is 1hr+ away… No fun.
- Granola is definitely a life saver when your tummy is talking to you! If you haven’t figured it out by now, I need quick and easy options. I’m a teacher and we don’t get many breaks during the day. So, something that I can snack on from time at my desk, or in between classes is what I need!
- Fruit is another great choice. Grapes and pineapples are good for me because they don’t need much tending to. Apples are my favorite. I bought an apple corer and it changed my life! In 30 seconds I know have beautiful apple slices, no core, and I’m ready for a snack… I’ll even eat apples and peanut butter for lunch sometimes!
- Nuts are also great snacks! I love pecans. I will share my recipe for candied pecans ASAP!!! I snacked on these non-stop through my LEAP diet! They were my desert! I also did the same with almonds…
- Tuna is a good choice! I like it because…duh…it’s easy. It can also transfer into a meal with a side item like chips. My fave tuna is when it is in “sunflower oil” instead of just water.
- Donuts! Yes, I said donuts! Gluten free/nut free/dairy free donuts that are oh so amazing… Kinnikinnick Foods has “Cinnamon Sugar” donuts that are to die for! If you watch my Snapchat then you’ve snuck a peek at these bad boys!
- Halo Top “ice cream” is a must. My advice is to try ALL the flavors until you find a favorite. 😉 I mean, 240 calories for the pint? You can’t go wrong. *Strawberry, tho!*
- The easiest meal for me to make that I LOVE is ground turkey + sweet potatoes.
- I also lived on pork chops during my LEAP diet. I cover the chops with olive oil and almond flour, then sear each side before fully cooking them.
- Another easy side is 100% potato flakes. Mix in some milk (almond milk if dairy is a problem for you) and you have instant mashed potatoes that taste great!
- I also loooove Annie’s organic cheddar shells as another side.
- My favorite healthy frozen pizza is “Against the Grain Gourmet” 3-cheese pizza. Slap some of my favorite uncured turkey pepperoni from Applegate and you have yourself yummy goodness in 10-15 minutes!
This probably doesn’t cover everything, but these are the things I usually gravitate towards! I hope I answered some questions that you all have been asking. Don’t hesitate to keep throwing them my way! Remember, it’s ok to not be perfect. None of us are. You’re going to slip up. You’re going to eat something you shouldn’t…but don’t let that get in the way of being the best you. If you don’t do it for you…do it for the ones you love! You want to be around for them!